Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is a well-known condition that plagues people around the world. The early stage, gingivitis, is often easy to reverse, but advanced gum disease can cause severe, irreversible damage and can ultimately lead to tooth loss. Our Boulder dentist offers gum disease treatment and can help you restore a healthy mouth and beautiful smile.
Warnings signs of gum disease include:
- Gums that are visibly swollen, tender, or red
- Bleeding when you brush or floss your teeth
- Bleeding gums when you eat certain foods such as popcorn
- Mouth pain which can also be an indicator of untreated tooth decay
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Recurrent bad breath that’s not due to a medical condition or medications
- Pain while chewing hard foods
- Teeth that are shifting or loosening
- Gum detachment, or gums pulling away from your teeth that create pockets near the roots
- Elongating teeth, which means your gums are receding and exposing more tooth surface
- Tooth loss
What Causes Gum Disease?
The common cause of gum disease is poor dental hygiene, which creates the perfect breeding ground for the bacteria in your mouth. This bacteria collects on your teeth, turning to plaque, and lack of dental care can cause plaque to harden into tartar. Other causes of gum disease include:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Misaligned teeth
- Recurrent dry mouth (certain medications can inhibit saliva production)
- Hormonal changes
- Illnesses, particularly autoimmune diseases
- Your genetics
These situations are exacerbated if you don’t brush your teeth twice a day, floss at least 3-4 times a week, and rinse with water or mouthwash between meals. Routine dental exams and cleanings can also prevent gum disease. Gingivitis (stage one) can often be reversed with dental hygiene, but gum treatment may be necessary for the more severe stages, periodontitis and advanced periodontitis. The latter of which often leads to tooth loss, which then results in more missing teeth.
How Missing Teeth Damage Your Oral Health
Tooth loss typically occurs when the warnings signs of gum disease have been ignored to the point of no return. The best way to treat this symptom of advanced periodontitis is to replace the missing tooth with a dental implant and restore healthy gums with periodontal treatment. If you don’t work to improve your dental hygiene and replace the lost tooth, you're looking at further tooth loss. The teeth adjacent to the lost tooth will start to shift to fill the gap.
The lack of pressure on that part of your jaw will cause the bone to recess and loose up to 25 percent of its density in the first 12 months alone. Your facial shape will change, making you look older with sunken cheeks. Dental implants are the ideal way to replace missing teeth as they’re strong, durable, and look natural.
Schedule Your Dental Exam and Teeth Cleaning in Boulder
Contact Adler Advanced Dentistry today at (303) 449-1119 to schedule your dental exam and cleaning. Our skilled dentist can diagnose gum disease and develop a comprehensive treatment to restore your oral health. We serve patients in surrounding areas of Boulder, Colorado including Fort Collins and Denver.