Bacteria in your mouth are the root cause of gum disease. Many people do not even realize their gums are infected, which is why it's so important to visit dentist Michael Adler for routine exams and teeth cleanings. At Adler Advanced Dentistry, we prevent, diagnose and treat gum disease so that you can enjoy improved oral health. To schedule an appointment at our Boulder practice, please call our experienced team at 303-449-1119.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is inflammation in your gums, caused by the bacteria harbored in the plaque on your teeth. Possible signs and symptoms of gum disease include:
- Gums bleed when you brush and floss
- Receding gums
- Teeth that look longer than they used to
- Loose teeth
- Swollen, tender gums
- Red, inflamed gums
Though these are the most common symptoms, you must visit Dr. Adler to know for sure whether gum disease is present.
Gum Disease Treatment at Adler Advanced Dentistry
Dr. Adler's goal is to effectively treat your gum disease while conserving as much healthy tissue as possible, and while providing long-term results by addressing any underlying factors contributing to your gum disease.
Treatment for gum disease depends largely upon the stage of the condition and what is causing it, but treatment may consist of:
- Oral probiotics: Some people experience changes in the balance of bacteria in their mouths. When there's more bad-for-your-oral health bacteria than there is good bacteria, then you can start experiencing gum problems and gingivitis. Our dentistry team may recommend oral probiotic chewable tablets to restore healthy bacteria in your mouth.
- Soft-tissue laser therapy: Laser dentistry cleans out infected gum tissue using the most minimally invasive, painless technology available. Using a state-of-the-art soft-tissue laser, our experienced dental hygienist decontaminates the gums by vaporizing bacteria with the laser.
- ATRIDOX® periodontitis gel: ATRIDOX® is an antimicrobial gel that fights gum disease by reducing the harmful bacteria infecting your gums. It slowly releases doxycycline deep into infected gum pockets.
- Specialized periodontal treatment: For certain guests, specialized treatment may be needed. We have a periodontist who provides care to our guests who need advanced treatment for periodontitis.
Periodontist Dr. Cherie Brown – Gum Disease Treatment
Dr. Adler works with an experienced periodontist for certain guests who are experiencing gum disease and periodontitis. Dr. Cherie Brown visits our practice each week to provide care. As a periodontist, Dr. Brown specializes in treating the tissue and structures that surround and support the teeth, including the gums and alveolar bone.
To become a periodontist, Dr. Brown completed an additional 3 years of training after dental school. Dr. Brown completed a postgraduate residency program in periodontics, as well as a Master's of Science. She is firmly committed to eliminating your gum disease in the least invasive manner while also conserving as much healthy tissue as possible.
Causes of Gum Disease
The best treatment for you may also depend on what is causing the gum inflammation. Common causes and contributing factors to gum disease include:
- Poor dental hygiene
- Hormones present during pregnancy
- Certain health conditions, including diabetes
- Genetic predisposition
After learning about your oral health history, and after performing a routine exam of your teeth and gums, Dr. Adler can determine if there are any manageable health or lifestyle factors you can modify to fight gum disease and promote better oral health.
If you believe you may be experiencing the symptoms of gum disease and you live in Boulder, Colorado or the nearby areas, please call Adler Advanced Dentistry at 303-449-1119 to schedule an appointment with experienced dentist Dr. Michael Adler.