In philosophy, when thinking about something in a holistic way, you take the whole as a sum of its parts. Essentially, in this philosophy, you recognize that each part, no matter how small, has an effect on the whole system and that each should be recognized to understand their significance upon the whole. In medicine, the holistic philosophy is one that characterizes the whole body beyond just the physical symptoms, including mental factors and outside influence, to diagnose and treat ailments.
At Adler Advanced Dentistry in Boulder, Dr. Michael Adler is a holistic dentist who believes that to truly treat your oral health issues a comprehensive approach is needed to understand exactly what the cause of your dental problem may be. As a holistic dentist, Dr. Adler doesn’t just treat your dental issue; he considers all of the systemic causes that may be a factor and thinks about the ways to not only diagnose and treat but to prevent the issue as well.
When examining your dental problems, Dr. Adler looks at your whole health, as well as your lifestyle, to understand the cause of any oral health issue. It’s been shown that our oral health is directly connected to our overall health, as untreated dental issues can lead to problems in other areas of the body. The converse is also true in that our lifestyle, diets, and overall health are factors in our oral health. A few examples of this interconnection can be seen in the following examples:
- Gum disease: Instead of just treating your gum disease, Dr. Adler will look at your lifestyle and health to see if there are factors outside of your oral health contributing to the issue. For example, if you have poor dental hygiene practices, regularly smoke, or suffer from a health condition such as diabetes, he’ll recommend preventative measures and treatments to effectively help your gum disease that take these factors into consideration.
- Tooth decay: Depending on the rate and level of your tooth decay, Dr. Adler will evaluate whether there are lifestyle factors such as poor diet and dental hygiene, or an abundance of bacteria that is causing the decay. If you have an excess of bacteria in your mouth he may recommend laser dentistry to aid in reducing the bacteria. During your exam and cleaning, Dr. Adler will discuss options to help you prevent further decay and preserve your oral health.
- Headaches: If you suffer from chronic headaches there may be a dental connection causing the issue. Headaches can result if any of the muscles and joints in your face, jaw, or neck are strained or misaligned. As an experienced neuromuscular dentist, Dr. Adler will evaluate all of these joints and muscles to determine if they are the cause and provide a treatment plan to help correct any issues.
Not only does Dr. Adler take a holistic approach to diagnosing the dental problem but he uses the same philosophy in his treatments as well. These treatments not only address the issue at hand but also take account of their effect on other parts of the body so as not to cause harm to your overall health. Examples of a few of these treatments include:
- Using mercury-free restorations
- Using oral probiotics specifically formulated for your mouth
- Offering a number of holistic products for your dental hygiene
If you’re interested in learning more about our holistic dentist and how these practices can help your oral and overall health, contact us by filling out the form on this page or by calling us at to schedule your consultation. We proudly serve those who live in Boulder, as well as all nearby communities on the Front Range in Colorado.