If you have one or more missing teeth you may feel self-conscious about your smile. Having missing teeth can be embarrassing and may cause you to hide your smile from others in social situations. At Adler advanced dentistry, we believe everyone should have a beautiful healthy smile that you feel great about. That's why we offer dental implants as a permanent solution to replace missing teeth.
Whether due to decay or an accident, a missing tooth can cause more harm than just being aesthetically unpleasing. A missing tooth can cause a number of oral health issues that can lead to other dental issues and the need for more dental work. Dr. Michael Adler believes in taking a holistic approach to your dental needs. Because your oral health is closely connected to your overall health, it's important to take care of your mouth, teeth, and gums to ensure a healthy body.
The oral health problems that may arise because of missing teeth include:
- Teeth shifting: The teeth next to the missing tooth can shift into the empty space causing crooked teeth
- Jaw bone decline: Having all your teeth helps keep your jaw bone strong and dense. Missing teeth can cause deterioration and weaken the bone
- Gum disease: It's been shown that having missing teeth can increase the risk of gum disease. Gum disease can also increase the risk of more tooth loss and other health issues
- Sunken face: Missing more than one tooth can cause your face to lose its shape and appear sunken
In the past, the traditional solution to replacing missing teeth was to use dentures. While that is still an option today, dentures are not permanent and are often known to shift in the mouth when talking or eating food. Dental implants, however, are surgically implanted into the jaw bone and then a porcelain crown is attached to the implant. Made of ultra-strong titanium, the implant actually fuses with your jaw bone, effectively making it a part of your jaw and providing a permanent and secure replacement tooth.
There are many benefits to choosing dental implants as your tooth replacement option, which include:
- A success rate of over 95%
- Longest-lasting option
- Improved eating ability
- Improved speech compared to dentures
- Super stable
- Replacement tooth is made to match existing teeth
- Extremely durable
- Improved oral health
- Easily cleaned by brushing as compared to dentures
The most important thing before having the dental implant procedure is to make sure you're a candidate. While most healthy adults are eligible, there can be some circumstances that disqualify you from the procedure. Ideal candidates for dental implants should have sufficient jaw bone density, healthy gums, and be in good overall health. Dr. Adler will go over all of this with you during your consultation and recommend alternatives in the vent dental implants won't work for you.
If you'd like to learn more about dental implants and if you're a candidate, please contact us by filling out the form on this page or by calling us at 303-449-1119 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly serve Boulder and surrounding areas in Colorado.