Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) is a painful condition that occurs as a result of a misaligned jaw. Due to the complex system of joints, muscles, ligaments and nerves in your jaw region, TMJ can result in a wide range of symptoms. Often, these symptoms occur in other areas of your body, making the condition very challenging to diagnose.
Some of the most common TMJ symptoms include:
- Jaw pain
- Facial pain
- Back, neck and shoulder pain
- Clicking or popping sound in the jaw
- Locking of the jaw joint
- Limited jaw mobility
- Difficulty chewing
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Facial swelling
- Migraine headaches
- Uneven bite
Depending on the severity of your condition, you may exhibit one or more of these symptoms. You don't have to experience all of them to be diagnosed with TMJ.
If you experience several of these symptoms on occasion, you may not necessary need to seek treatment. However, if you are suffering from chronic pain or jaw mobility issues on a daily basis and it is impacting your everyday life, you should visit Dr. Adler's Boulder dental office for a TMJ diagnostic exam.
Dr. Adler uses the most advanced neuromuscular dentistry technology to diagnose and treat TMJ. Your diagnostic evaluation will consist of:
- K7 system that uses electromyography and joint sonography to track the position of your jaw
- Newtom 3D imaging system to provide detailed images of your jaw positioning from every angle
- TENS therapy to relax your jaw muscles and locate your jaw's ideal resting position
Based on the results of your diagnostic evaluation, Dr. Adler will recommend a customized treatment plan to alleviate your chronic TMJ pain and restore a properly aligned bite.
Please contact Adler Advanced Dentistry using the form on this page or call today to schedule your TMJ evaluation. We serve patients in Boulder, Colorado.