Your teeth, gums and entire oral cavity are a part of your body, and should be treated as part of a whole. As an experienced holistic dentist, Dr. Michael Adler considers your physical, emotional and mental health together as he plans how to help you achieve optimal oral health and an attractive smile.
Our dental technology, treatments and care are all directed toward sustaining a healthy relationship between your oral health and overall health. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Adler, please call Adler Advanced Dentistry at . We are proud to serve clients in Boulder, Colorado and nearby.
Find out more about holistic dentistry at our Boulder office:
- What is Holistic Dentistry?
- Holistic Dentistry Treatments We Offer
- Holistic Products we Offer
- Contact Us Today
What is Holistic Dentistry?
Dr. Adler takes all aspects of your health into consideration when providing prevention, diagnosis and treatment of dental health problems. Dr. Adler thinks about all of the systemic causes that could be contributing to the dental health problem, as opposed to seeing the dental symptom as isolated from the health of the rest of your body. To better illustrate holistic dentistry, consider the following dental health concerns and their interdependence with whole body health:
- Tooth decay: Cavities can be treated and the tooth restored. But as a holistic dentist, Dr. Adler also considers if there is more to the picture. If you have a high rate of decay, he thinks about the underlying contributing factors as he plans your care. For example, your diet may be causing or exacerbating a high rate of decay. In such a scenario, changing your diet could help you avoid cavities in the future. Some people have high levels of bacteria in their mouths, and may benefit from laser reduction of this bacteria to prevent decay. During your holistic teeth cleaning, Dr. Adler and our experienced dental hygienists will make individualized recommendations for maintaining optimum oral health.
- Gum disease: While gum disease could be treated just by alleviating the symptoms alone, a holistic dentistry approach considers whether lifestyle factors (such as smoking or poor dental hygiene) or health conditions (such as diabetes) may be contributing to your gum disease. When Dr. Adler considers the multiple aspects of your health and wellness, he can recommend gum disease treatments that are optimally effective and compatible with your health status.
- Headaches: Chronic headaches may have a dental connection. Your occlusion (the "bite" or how your teeth come together) may be misaligned, which can lead to an imbalance in the nerves, muscles and joints of your jaw, neck and face. You may be clenching and grinding your teeth, which strains your temporomandibular joints (TMJs). As an experienced neuromuscular dentist, Dr. Adler can determine if TMJ disorders are present and if they are likely causing your severe headaches.
Holistic dentistry recognizes that your oral health influences your overall health, and that your overall health influences your oral health. It is these relationships that Dr. Adler cares about and that he thinks about as he provides your individualized treatment options.
Holistic Dentistry Treatments We Offer
Many of the treatments offered at Adler Advanced Dentistry are in themselves holistically based:
- Mercury free restorations: White dental fillings and porcelain crowns allow you to avoid any negative effects of metal amalgam materials. Though the FDA continues to deem safe the level of mercury in dental restorations, our dentist and team believe it's important to avoid these potentially toxic materials. Metal fillings release very low levels of mercury, and we have seen patients with metal crowns that irritate and inflame the surrounding gum tissue.
- Avoidance of BPA: Whenever possible, we use materials that do not contain bisphenol A. BPA is an industrial chemical used in certain types of plastic and resin. Research has linked BPA to potential adverse health effects, particularly to fetuses, infants and children. We believe in minimizing exposure to BPA and eliminating it whenever possible.
- Oral probiotics: Just like the probiotics you can find in yogurt, there are probiotic supplements specially formulated for your mouth. Like your gut, your mouth has a combination of bacteria that promotes oral health and bacteria that is bad for your oral health. If you constantly experience dental problems despite great oral hygiene, it may be due to an imbalance in your mouth bacteria. The probiotics provided by our practice restore a healthy amount of good bacteria (Streptococcus salivarius).
Holistic Dental Products we Offer
We recently added Tooth and Gums Tonic toothpaste and mouth rinse made by The Dental Herb Company to our available product inventory. I have used this product in my own mouth for years and I’m quite fond of it. I really like the natural cinnamon eucalyptus flavor it brings and I don’t get a film on my teeth after brushing (like I notice when using most commercial brands). I also like that it is safe to use with veneers and is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is an emulsifier/foaming agent that present in most toothpaste and numerous other health and beauty products. SLS has been linked to cancer, neurotoxicity, skin irritation and endocrine disruption. Some people will even experience canker sores and tissue sloughing due to SLS in their toothpaste. Here is a great article with more information about the dangers of SLS.
All natural Tooth and Gums Tonic is a holistic approach to cleaning your teeth and managing any periodontal conditions. This product is free of alcohol and other chemicals that can be drying and damaging to gum tissue. It is made with powerful antimicrobial essential oils that combat the harmful oral bacteria that lead to bad breath and gum disease.
For those of you interested in ingredients here is a list of what is in this product: Deionized water, vegetable glycerine, extracts of echinacea angustifolia, echinacea purpurea and gotu kola, pure essential oils of peppermint, red thyme, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus globulus and lavender, plant saponins.
Ask us for a sample the next time you are in!
Contact Our Dentist in Boulder Today
Holistic dentists like Dr. Adler consider how any dental treatment, restoration or medication will impact both your oral health as well as your entire body. We want to help you live a happier, healthier life by maintaining the wellness of your mouth, body and all of the systems connecting the two.
If you are searching for an experienced, skilled, friendly and patient-centered Boulder holistic dentist, please call Adler Advanced Dentistry at . We are proud to serve patients in Boulder, Denver, Ft. Collins, and the nearby areas.